Avery Kate

Avery Kate was a healthy ten week old baby girl who went to sleep for a nap and woke up in Heaven. We miss her every second of every day. SIDS became a reality in our family and we will never forget our beautiful baby girl.

Monday, December 19, 2011

The Big Day

Thursday, September 1, 2011. 12:30 AM, I go to the restroom (one of the usual 5-7 trips I would make during the night) and feel the right side of my belly. Hiccups. I got a little teary eyed as I felt my belly thinking this would be the last time I would ever feel hiccups from the inside. I went back to bed to try my best to sleep a few hours before the big day began. We woke up around 4:15. I straightened my hair, packed up a few last things in my bag, took one last picture of my pregnant belly, and we were out the door. We got to Memorial Hospital for Women, Gauthier Campus at around 4:45. It's only 3-4 miles from our house. I got settled in my nice room (suite really) and patiently waited for what was to come. I was a little nervous because I remember how painful my day had been when I delivered Hallie. Our room number was 1111. Well the nurse could not seem to get my IV in. She tried both hands, and numerous veins. She had to go ask for help. Meanwhile I wasn't wasting any time this day, I put on my makeup and waited to see Dr. Scroggs. I was still only 4 cm so I knew it would be a long day. Brandon's aunt, Denine, had come in from Houston where she works in labor and delivery at Texas Children's Hospital. She was a huge help when I had Hallie and we couldn't imagine our day without her. My mom was on her way in from New Iberia, Terri was at our house getting Hallie ready for her day at Mrs. Kathy's (her babysitter), and Mrs. Christy was at work, awaiting our phone call saying, "It's time!" Around 8:30, they came to give me my epidural. I'm not even in pain. I'm not even uncomfortable yet. Really? I can get my epidural?? Oh yea! Plug it in! Dr. Scroggs comes in around 9:15 to break my water. Still 4 cm. I knew the day was going to be a long day, but just how long are we talking here? As I'm lying in the bed playing Words with Friends on my iphone and taking bets on how much Avery Kate would weigh, Denine is just sewing a bow for our baby girl. She'd pop her head up every now and then and take a quick glance at my contractions, but other than that.....nothing. I thought geeze, she doesn't even care if I have this baby today! I'll be pregnant forever! At around 10:20, Brandon and my mom decide to go get lunch at Tony's pizza; way across town. No problem, it'll be a while. While they were gone, my nurse comes to check me again. 8 cm! Holy Moly! Already??? I texted Brandon and he immediately called me in disbelief. He and my mom were both back at the hospital in a flash. I told Denine I didn't like my epidural and I wanted to be "paralyzed" from the waist down. She called in the anesthesiologist. He fixed my epidural so that I was absolutely numb. Just the way I like it! She asked if I was good. I nodded. She said, "Go ahead and call in the nurse. We're ready to deliver." What??? Is she serious?? She was sewing a bow! How would she even know that? Sure enough my nurse, Laura, comes in, checks me, and says, "Don't move! I'm calling Dr. Scroggs!" I just couldn't believe it! My friend Kelli had called, and I told her to go get a pedicure because I just knew I wouldn't deliver until 5:00 at the earliest! Boy was I wrong. Dr. Scroggs and staff came in around 11:55 to prepare for the delivery. Here we go!!! I pushed for maybe 30 minutes and she was out. They put her on my chest and she looked into my eyes for the first time. I will never forget that moment as long as I live. Brandon cut the cord and smiled the happiest daddy smile I've ever seen. We were the proud parents of two beautiful girls. They cleaned her up and weighed her. One whole pound lighter than her sister, she weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces and she was 19 inches long. What an amazing day! They wrapped her in her infamous pink blanket and she was in my arms once again. I was sooooo happy. We let everyone come in and meet her. She was absolutely perfect in every way.
We let Hallie come to meet her baby sister around 4:00 that afternoon. She wasn't sure what to think at first, but she warmed up quickly. She held her and played with her tiny fingers. And of course, she gave her millions of kisses. She loved her even though they'd just met.
 I honestly believe in love at first sight, because I have felt it twice now, and witnessed that same experience for Brandon and now Hallie. What an amazing feeling. That night I remember just holding her and staring at her thinking that I was just the luckiest mom in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment