Avery Kate

Avery Kate was a healthy ten week old baby girl who went to sleep for a nap and woke up in Heaven. We miss her every second of every day. SIDS became a reality in our family and we will never forget our beautiful baby girl.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Thanksgiving 2011


November 24, 2011. We had plans to go to Denam Springs with my dad's family for Thanksgiving. It's a family reunion at my grandma's brother's house and just an all around good time. Well being the person that I am, I had Hallie and Avery Kate's outfits all planned out. I knew where we would take their pictures that day. I knew where we'd take our family picture.... I had the entire day planned out in my head. I knew there was no way that I could carry out that day in the same fashion without Avery Kate. No way. So Brandon and I decided to stay in Lake Charles. We woke up that morning and slowly got dressed. I dressed Hallie in her turkey dress and we all got in Brandon's truck to go down the road to Beth's house. The tears started coming. This was not the day I had planned. This was not at all how it was supposed to be. It was one of the hardest days yet. Once again, my arms just felt empty the whole day. Brandon's whole family was there, Hallie got to play with all of her cousins, but Avery Kate was not there. She'd never have a Thanksgiving with us, she'd never get to play with all of her cousins. How is any of this fair?
Mrs. Christy and Jenny rode with Brandon, Hallie, and I to Grant, LA to pick out our Christmas tree from the tree farm. Once again, a once cheerful occassion upset me. I couldn't wait for Avery Kate's first Christmas! I just didn't even feel like celebrating Christmas this year. Did we really have to? Then I remembered the reason for the season. Jesus. God's child that he gave to us. I knew I couldn't steal that joy from Hallie. We picked out THE perfect tree, and drove back to Lake Charles. Once Brandon had the tree up in the house, I wondered how I was going to pull out the decorations and make our home happy. I just put it off and thought I would get to it one day. It felt like the longest day, and the night wasn't any easier. But I thought of what Avery Kate would have wanted on that day.... She would have wanted me to be happy and give thanks. So as I went to sleep that night, I thanked God for the ten weeks I had with her, for my wonderful family and friends, and for the strength he had given me to make it through that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment